“I was a child who went about in a world of colors… My friends, my companions, became women slowly; I became old in instants.”
Quotes by Frida Kahlo
Quotes by Frida Kahlo
- Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?
- I am happy to be alive, as long as I can paint.
- I am in agreement with everything my father taught me and nothing my mother taught me.
- I am my own muse, the subject I know best.
- I don’t know how to write love letters.
- I find that Americans completely lack sensibility and good taste. They are boring, and they all have faces like unbaked rolls.
- I leave you my portrait so that you will have my presence all the days and nights that I am away from you.
- I love you more than my own skin.
- I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.
- I paint flowers so they will not die.
- I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.
- I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.
- I put on the canvas whatever comes into my mind.
- I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.
- I was a child who went about in a world of colors… My friends, my companions, became women slowly; I became old in instants.
- My painting carries with it the message of pain.
- My toys were those of a boy: skates, bicycles.
- Of the opposite sex, I have the moustache and, in general, the face.
- Painting completed my life.
- Really, I do not know whether my paintings are surrealist or not, but I do know that they are the frankest expression of myself.
- Since my subjects have always been my sensations, my states of mind and the profound reactions that life has been producing in me, I have frequently objectified all this in figures of myself, which were the most sincere and real thing that I could do in order to express what I felt inside and outside of myself.
- The most important part of the body is the brain. Of my face, I like the eyebrows and eyes. Aside from that, I like nothing. My head is too small.
- The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.
- There have been two great accidents in my life. One was the trolley, and the other was Diego. Diego was by far the worst.
- They thought I was a Surrealist, but I wasn’t. I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality.
- To paint is the most terrific thing that there is, but to do it well is very difficult.